Venezuela's Limardo wins Olympic men's epee gold
- Italy wins gold in men's team foil at Olympics
- Germany wins bronze in men's team foil at Olympics
- Italy has chance at 3rd fencing gold at Olympics
- Finally, a medal for South Korean fencer
- China wins Olympic gold in epee team
- South Korea urges IOC to probe fencer's defeat
- South Korea wins Olympic saber team event
- Italy wins Olympic gold at women's foil team event
- US saber team faces top seed Russia at Olympics
- South Korea's Kim wins women's sabre gold medal
Updated August 1, 2012
LONDON (AP) Venezuela's Ruben Limardo won the Olympic gold medal in men's individual epee Wednesday night, topping Norway's Bartosz Piasecki 15-10 in the title bout.
Jung Jinsun of South Korea won the bronze, beating Seth Kelsey of the U.S. 12-11 in overtime.
Limardo was seeded 12th and is the highest-seeded competitor to reach the medal round after a series of early upsets. When he scored the final point against Piasecki, he tore off his headpiece, thrust both arms into the air and ran around the arena.
Piasecki had placed 43rd, 65th and 26th, respectively, at the last three world championships. Limardo was seventh at worlds in 2011, and had not been in the top 20 in either of the previous two years.